“In the face of tragedies and acts of terror, we need to remember that good still exists in this world. We’re here to entertain you tonight, and that’s what we’re gonna do,” he said.
Cyrus, whose new album Younger Now was just released in September, took to the mic alongside comedy actor Adam Sandler on guitar. Both of them chose a somber approach to the performance. And instead of jumping into one of her country-tinged new hits, she looked to another artist: Dido. Cyrus and Sandler performed a stripped-down, moving cover of that singer’s emotional tune “No Freedom” for the studio audience.
“There’s no love without freedom,” they duet in the chorus. “No freedom without love.” Talking with Fallon later on the show, she explained her song choice: “I think that right now we’re supposed to be the land of the free, but we can’t have freedom if we’re constantly living in fear.”
This performance kicks off “Miley Week” on the Tonight Show, so we can expect to see much more from the artist as she continues her work with Fallon, with whom she frequently collaborates.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time