When asked in an interview with the Center for American Progress’ Thinking CAP podcast whether Republicans and the NRA are complicit in an epidemic of gun violence, Clinton said “of course they are.”
“This is nothing but pure, unadulterated greed motivated by people who want to sell as many guns as they can, to engage in a falsity of fear and rhetoric about why everybody has to have guns,” she said, according to an excerpt. The full podcast episode will be released Thursday.
“You know, the evidence is just so clear that more guns do not keep you safer and more guns in the wrong hands lead to terrible incidents,” she said.
Clinton criticized the Trump administration, for example, for repealing an Obama-era regulation that stopped certain people with a background of mental illness from obtaining firearms.
“We see the horrors of Las Vegas,” she said. “It happens every day.”
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time