LeBron James has no regrets after slamming President Donald Trump for rescinding an invitation to Golden State Warriors star Stephen Curry to celebrate the team’s championship at the White House.
Trump disinvited Curry from the White House on Saturday in response to comments made by Curry that implied he would not attend the celebration. That was just part of a string of weekend attacks against against NFL players who kneel instead of standing for the national anthem during games to protest of racial inequality and police brutality.
James lit up Twitter with a response that addressed the President as “U bum.”
During a news conference Monday, James stood by his words.
“That’s not a name call,” he said. “You bum. Me and my friends call each other that all the time. I’m not his friend, though. He’s not my friend.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Mahita Gajanan at firstname.lastname@example.org