British actor Colin Firth has become a dual citizen of Great Britain and Italy after his home nation voted to leave the European Union.
His wife Livia Giuggioli, who is Italian, has also applied for British citizenship. According the Associated Press, Firth said in a statement that they never took much issue with each of them having passports from two different countries. However, following Brexit, Firth said that “with some of the uncertainty around, we thought it sensible that we should all get the same.”
The couple’s two children already have dual citizenship to Great Britain and Italy. Firth has also been quoted as calling Brexit a disaster, according to the AP.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving