Video footage from the scene Friday shows Comey attempting to speak to the audience amid considerable shouting. Some students can be heard chanting “James Comey is not our homie,” as well as “get out James Comey, get out our home.”
In August this year, Comey was appointed by Howard University to serve as the Gwendolyn S. and Colbert I. King Endowed Chair in Public Policy for the 2017-2018 academic year.
According to a statement from Howard University, Comey is planning to forego the $100,000 compensation and instead donate it to a scholarship fund for the university that is dedicated to helping students from foster homes.
President Donald Trump unexpectedly fired Comey on May 9, citing recommendations from the two top officials in the Department of Justice, Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, based on his handling of the probe into Hillary Clinton’s e-mails.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Kate Samuelson at firstname.lastname@example.org