David S. Pumpkins is one of the great unsung heroes of our time. Besides becoming a notorious Halloween icon after being brought to life by Tom Hanks on an episode of Saturday Night Live, David S. Pumpkins also became a popular Halloween costume and a hypeman in a memorable SNL rap video starring Kenan Thompson.
However, it turns out that Hanks’ beloved turn as the spooky character almost didn’t happen. According to a story told by SNL alum Bobby Moynihan on Late Night With Seth Meyers, who wrote the sketch with Mikey Day, Hanks wasn’t sure if the sketch was going to work and even went so far as to suggest that they give it to Chris Hemsworth, who would be hosting the next week’s show.
Thankfully for us and them, Hanks decided to stick with the skit and hinted just recently that he might be reprising his role in the near future. Until then, you can watch Moynihan talk about David S. Pumpkins in the full clip above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Cady Lang at firstname.lastname@example.org