Celebrities were not prepared for the Spice.
Curious about how many people were watching the Emmys, host Stephen Colbert called in the big guns during his monologue. “Sean, do you know?” he asked. That’s when former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer rolled in to assist him with a report on the crowd.
The surprise guest arrived behind a podium like the one in the White House press briefing room. “This will be the largest audience to witness an Emmys, period. Both in person and around the world,” he declared with firm conviction.
He was making fun of his own unwavering assertion about the viewership of Trump’s January inauguration. At the sight of him, several celebrities — most notably Melissa McCarthy, who famously played Spicer on Saturday Night Live — had strong reactions.
Anna Chumskly of Veep had the most meme-worthy natural reaction. Consider it whenever you need to communicate a combination of awe and disbelief.
Perhaps knowing that all eyes would be on her, Melissa McCarthy, who won an Emmy for her SNL impression of Spicer, kept it cool.
Modern Family mother-daughter duo Sarah Hyland and Julie Bowen simply could not contain their shock.
Keivn Spacey a.k.a. President Frank Underwood of House of Cards and Veep body man Tony Hale were thoroughly amused.
Watch the moment below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com