Like many of her predecessors, First Lady Melania Trump is a fashion icon, but it’s a job that comes with some risk.
As she and President Trump headed to Texas to see the damage of Hurricane Harvey, she was photographed wearing a sensible black ensemble, a green bomber jacket — and black stiletto heels.
The impractical heels spurred the internet to action, with Trump Administration critics seeing an easy mark:
Others found the occasion more of an occasion to make quick jokes:
And still others pointed out that the criticism was silly, including Trump’s spokeswoman:
As it turned out, Melania Trump did have another pair of shoes on the plane.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk