(MADRID) – The hunt for a man who drove a van down Barcelona’s most famous boulevard last Thursday, killing 13 people, has been extended to other European countries, Catalan government official Joaquim Forn said on Monday.
Police are searching for Younes Abouyaaqoub, a 22-year-old Moroccan-born man, who they believe was the driver.
“This person is no longer just being sought in Catalonia but in all European countries, this is an effort by European police,” Forn told Catalan radio.
Authorities could not rule out on Sunday that Abouyaaqoub had not slipped across the border into France.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space