On Monday, Internet hero Ryan Reynolds lit up Twitter when he shared the first image of a new character who will be appearing in the hotly-anticipated Deadpool sequel. His name is Cable, and he’s played by Hollywood royalty Josh Brolin. And he looks quite fierce.
“We all have that one, grumpy, heavily armed Uncle [sic] from the future,” Reynolds wrote in the first tweet, a headshot. He followed it up with a full body shot, captioned “DeadPool 2: Your premium #Cable provider.” Immediately, fans of the unorthodox superhero and his witty franchise came in hot with their excitement over the image. Like Deadpool, Cable hails from the X-Men comic books. In the canon, Cable is the time-traveling son of Cyclops, one of the original X-Men.
The return of Reynolds’ fast-talking Wade Wilson in Deadpool 2 isn’t expected in theaters until 2018, but that doesn’t make his fan base any less thrilled about its progress. On the contrary, they’re fully prepared to start the hype engines early for the movie, directed by Atomic Blonde‘s David Leitch.
Even X-Men comic writer Fabian Nicieza gave the Cable reveal his stamp of approval, tweeting his praise back at Reynolds.
At the end of July, Reynolds unveiled a first look at villain Domino — played by Atlanta actor Zazie Beetz — in another tweet that quickly blew up. Looks like Deadpool 2 is already on a roll.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart