Warning: This post contains spoilers for season seven of Game of Thrones.
Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow have both been declared the Prince Who Was Promised — a prophesied savior in the religion of R’hllor who is the reincarnation of legendary hero Azor Ahai — by Red Priestesses of the Lord of Light. And at this point in the Game of Thrones universe, there’s a strong argument to be made to support either character.
“Prophecies are dangerous things,” Melisandre recently told Dany. “I believe you have a role to play, as does another — The King in the North, Jon Snow.”
While the common interpretation of the prophecy seems to make Jon the more likely candidate, Missandei helpfully pointed out that the word “prince” is considered gender-neutral in High Valyrian, meaning the proper translation is the Prince or Princess Who Was Promised. This is an important distinction, especially considering that some fans believe there is evidence to confirm the Mother of Dragons is actually the chosen one.
According to the prophecy, the Prince (or Princess) is destined to “lead the people against a darkness” — presumably the White Walkers — with a flaming sword called Lightbringer. “There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world,” it reads. “In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him.”
Referencing the legend of Lightbringer’s creation — in which Azor Ahai was forced to stab his wife with the blade to impart it with its full power — Reddit user mattwee has laid out a theory that may confirm Daenerys is the warrior reincarnated:
It’s important to note that while some think Lightbringer is a physical sword, others believe it is metaphorical — an argument that lends further credence to this theory.
“The Spoils of War,” the fourth episode of Game of Thrones‘ seventh season, airs Aug. 6 at 9 p.m. on HBO.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022