After its much anticipated return, Game of Thrones came back with a bang: The show reported its biggest overnight audience of all time.
Entertainment Weekly reports that the series’ season 7 premiere delivered 16.1 million views across all of HBO’s platforms, including repeats, streaming and DVR. That’s also a 50% increase from last year’s season 6 premiere, according to EW, when the average was 7.9 million viewers sans streaming.
The news comes after HBO decided to air a new season in the summer for the first time — when the number of households watching TV is lower than in the spring, when the show usually premieres, notes EW.
Additionally, the show’s season 7 premiere is officially its most re-tweeted episode ever, boasting 2.4 million tweets.
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now