The man jumped a fence at Hillsboro Airport and ordered a flight instructor and student to get out of a running helicopter, Hillsboro police Lt. Henry Reimann said, according to the Associated Press.
The suspect, who has not yet been identified, fired at least one round during the incident, but he directed the shot away from the instructor and student, Reimann said.
Police officers, who arrived before the suspect could take off in the helicopter, fatally shot the man when he fled into a field. “He jumps out the helicopter and starts running, runs across the street, and we engage him out in a field,” Reimann said, according to the AP.
The suspect’s motives are not yet clear, and the investigation is ongoing.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now