The man jumped a fence at Hillsboro Airport and ordered a flight instructor and student to get out of a running helicopter, Hillsboro police Lt. Henry Reimann said, according to the Associated Press.
The suspect, who has not yet been identified, fired at least one round during the incident, but he directed the shot away from the instructor and student, Reimann said.
Police officers, who arrived before the suspect could take off in the helicopter, fatally shot the man when he fled into a field. “He jumps out the helicopter and starts running, runs across the street, and we engage him out in a field,” Reimann said, according to the AP.
The suspect’s motives are not yet clear, and the investigation is ongoing.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve