The following interactive quiz will prompt you to draw one randomly selected state at a time. Once you’re finished sketching the outline with your mouse or finger, we’ll compare your version to the actual boundaries and give you a letter grade as feedback. The algorithm that we wrote to compare your shape to the actual one is forgiving of differences in minor undulations of the borders, so you only need to focus on drawing the overall contours of the state. Grades are slightly curved to be more lenient on highly complex borders.
Don’t despair if some of your grades aren’t quite what you were used to in geography class — some states are much more difficult than others. To help you out, this feature will scale your drawing to match the actual state, so there is no need to use the entire canvas. As you draw each state (plus Washington, D.C.), it will be added to the map below the canvas in that state’s correct location and dimensions —regardless of how well it resembles the real thing. And when you’re done, check out how other people fared.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time