The following interactive quiz will prompt you to draw one randomly selected state at a time. Once you’re finished sketching the outline with your mouse or finger, we’ll compare your version to the actual boundaries and give you a letter grade as feedback. The algorithm that we wrote to compare your shape to the actual one is forgiving of differences in minor undulations of the borders, so you only need to focus on drawing the overall contours of the state. Grades are slightly curved to be more lenient on highly complex borders.
Don’t despair if some of your grades aren’t quite what you were used to in geography class — some states are much more difficult than others. To help you out, this feature will scale your drawing to match the actual state, so there is no need to use the entire canvas. As you draw each state (plus Washington, D.C.), it will be added to the map below the canvas in that state’s correct location and dimensions —regardless of how well it resembles the real thing. And when you’re done, check out how other people fared.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow