At least one person was killed and 6 others were injured when a gunman opened fire at New York’s Bronx Lebanon Hospital on Friday, police said.
The shooter took his own life, the Associated Press reported, citing a law enforcement official. An NYPD spokesman said the gunman died at the hospital.
The gunman, Dr. Henry Bello, was a doctor who formerly worked at the hospital, a law enforcement source told the AP. He entered Bronx Lebanon Hospital at about 2:50 p.m. on Friday with a rifle concealed in a lab coat and began shooting. The law enforcement official told the AP that Bello then apparently killed himself.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases