When Twitter user @Hopenlesmyth asked his followers if they knew anybody famous to wish his bullied son a Happy Birthday, he couldn’t have expected to see messages from Hollywood stars, Olympic athletes, and music legends in response.
Christopher tweeted on Thursday morning to say that his 8-year-old son, Ollie, had been bullied about his birthday. “The bully keeps saying that everything O has, he has bigger/better/more often. O excited for his birthday but keeps being told it won’t be as good as it’s own [sic]. Just would love someone to tell him he does mean something and bullying is not.”
The message quickly went viral, with replies soon rolling in from some very well-known people — including Gladiator star Russell Crowe, anti-bullying activist Monica Lewinsky, and soul legend Dionne Warwick.
Youtube stars Zoella and Alfie Deyes, The Simpsons artist Eric Keyes, rapper Stormzy, soccer teams Manchester City and Arsenal FC and British gold medal Olympic cyclist Chris Hoy were also among those to speak out against the bullying, and make Ollie’s birthday extra special.
Ollie was also offered a Team GB Olympic kit, the chance to meet Olympic athletes, signed copies of children’s books and a trip to watch England play soccer.
Christopher, who said he would show Ollie the messages on his birthday on July 5, later posted to thank everybody for the response. “Guys this has gone crazy and I appreciate all the wonderful messages.”
TIME reached out to Christopher, who hasn’t revealed his last name, for further comment but received no reply.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World