Good morning. These are today’s top stories:
Uber CEO resigns under pressure
Travis Kalanick has resigned from his role as Uber’s CEO under pressure from the company’s investors. “I love Uber more than anything in the world and at this difficult moment in my personal life I have accepted the investors’ request to step aside so that Uber can go back to building rather than be distracted with another fight,” Kalanick said in a statement, according to Reuters.
GOP wins high-stakes Georgia election
Republican Karen Handel emerged as the victor of yesterday’s special election for a congressional seat in Georgia. The former Georgia secretary of state beat Democrat Jon Ossoff in what became the most expensive House race in history.
Rapper Prodigy of Mobb Deep dies at 42
Albert Johnson, better known by his rapper name Prodigy, has died at age 42. The artist, who made up half of the Mobb Deep hip-hop duo, was hospitalized days ago “for complications caused by a sickle cell anemia crisis,” his publicist said in a statement obtained by the Associated Press.
It’s the longest day of the year
The summer solstice today marks the official start of summer and the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. Thousands of revelers will celebrate across the world with mass yoga sessions, a visit to Stonehenge and festivities that include longtime rituals of burning effigies and leaping over bonfires.
Saudi Arabia has a new top prince.
An attacker tried to detonate a nail bomb at a Brussels train station.
Britain’s Prince Philip has been admitted to the hospital with an infection.
Newly released dashcam video shows the fatal police shooting of Philando Castile.
Bachelor in Paradise, the reality TV show that had been suspended over misconduct claims, will resume filming after a probe found no wrongdoing.
Burger King has a new Lucky Charms milkshake.
The Morning Brief is published Mondays through Fridays. Email Morning Brief writer Melissa Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023