“I am being investigated for firing the FBI Director by the man who told me to fire the FBI Director! Witch Hunt,” the U.S. president wrote on Twitter Friday morning.
On June 14, the Washington Post reported on allegations that Trump was under investigation for possible obstruction of justice, citing unidentified officials. Trump denied the report, calling it a “phony story,” and a spokesman for Trump’s lawyer questioned the legality of leaking information in a statement to TIME, but did not deny the report.
The man Trump is thought to be referencing in his tweet is Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who wrote a memo that provided a basis for Comey’s dismissal.
Trump’s Friday tweet was the fourth in a string of posts sent Friday, criticising the “Fake News Media” and the Russia investigations.
“The Fake News Media hates when I use what has turned out to be my very powerful Social Media – over 100 million people! I can go around them,” he wrote, adding: “Despite the phony Witch Hunt going on in America, the economic & jobs numbers are great. Regulations way down, jobs and enthusiasm way up!”
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow