House Majority Whip Steve Scalise was one of multiple people shot when a gunman fired at Republican members of Congress and their staffers at a baseball field in Alexandria. Five people were taken to the hospital, and Scalise’s office said he was in stable condition and undergoing surgery.
Ryan’s statement comes after President Donald Trump said the suspected shooter, James T. Hodgkinson, has since died.
After the shooting, Ryan tweeted his support for those injured by the shooting and those who helped respond.
Trump said earlier on Twitter that Scalise “was badly injured but will fully recover,” calling him a “true friend and patriot.” In a statement from the White House, Trump said he and Vice President Mike Pence were “deeply saddened by this tragedy.”
Ryan is expected to make his statement from the House floor at 12:00 p.m. ET. You can watch it live above.
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023