So after some time off Seth Meyers wasted no time on Monday’s Late Night to suggest that President Donald Trump’s latest tweets were part of a new tactic: “Pissing off the rest of the world and picking fights on Twitter” and “doing as much damage as possible to our relationships with allies and our image across the world.”
He then added that political leaders are too busy to respond to Trump’s tweets. “It’s true,” said Meyers. “Responding to Trump’s ill-informed tweets can be a full-time job. And I know because it’s my full-time job.”
More to the point, Meyers said that President Trump “put his foot in his mouth” by using the term “travel ban” to describe his administration’s tourist visa policy that is currently before the Supreme Court. “All Trump has to do to avoid hurting his own cause is not use the word ‘ban.’ That’s it. Just don’t say ‘ban,’” Meyers said. Legal experts say that Trump’s use of the term “travel ban” hurt his legal case.
Watch the full segment below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org