Texas Gov. Greg Abbott joked about shooting reporters while visiting a gun range and carrying a target sheet with bullet holes in it.
As he was holding the bullet-ridden target, Abbott allegedly said, “I’m gonna carry this around in case I see any reporters,” according to the Texas Tribune.
The incident happened Friday as Abbott was at the range signing a bill into law lowering the cost of a handgun license in Texas the Tribune reported.
Abbott’s office did not immediately respond to TIME’s request for comment.
The comment comes shortly after another incident of violence against a reporter. A Guardian reporter said that Montana Republican Greg Gianforte “body slammed” him and broke his glasses Wednesday night. Gianforte, who won a special election for Montana’s congressional seat on Thursday night, was charged with misdemeanor assault
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief