“This administration and Republicans in Congress are mounting an onslaught against the needs of children and people with disabilities, women and seniors,” Clinton said Tuesday in an address at the annual gala for the Children’s Health Fund, according to the Associated Press.
Clinton said the budget “shows an unimaginable level of cruelty and lack of imagination and disdain for the struggles of millions of Americans, including millions of children.”
The budget, which would still need to be approved by Congress, includes cuts to programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and Social Security Disability Insurance, as well as student loans and Medicaid.
Trump’s budget chief, Mick Mulvaney, defended the cuts on Tuesday. “”We are no longer going to measure compassion by the number of programs or the number of people on those programs, but the number of people we help get off of those programs,” he said, according to CNN.
“It hurts the well-being of children,” Clinton said, according to the AP. “It’s time to send a resounding message that we will not stand for this attack on the most vulnerable among us.”
Earlier this month, Clinton launched a Political Action Committee,”Onward Together,” dedicated to supporting liberal causes and politicians.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time