Former FBI Director James Comey sent a farewell letter to colleagues Wednesday, a day after his shock firing by President Donald Trump.
In the letter, first published by CNN, Comey said he would “miss the mission deeply” and that it would be “very hard” to leave his committed colleagues at the bureau.
“In times of turbulence, the American people should see the FBI as a rock of competence, honesty, and independence,” he wrote.
Read Comey’s letter below.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve