Both Star Wars and old-school video games are cultural phenomena for the ages. So why not combine the two? At least that seems to be the thinking behind one fan’s recreation of The Last Jedi trailer in old-school 8-bit format — a parody that has already earned the approval of The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson.
After the scene-by-scene remake was posted by YouTube channel JoBlo Videos Wednesday, Johnson was quick to tweet his support for the project. “Oh my god that is awesome. Well done,” he replied to JoBlo’s John Stratman, who had sent him the video with the question, “Did I get it right?”
Johnson then shared the link — and his own nostalgic thoughts on the matter — with his 330,000 followers. “Here’s something pleasant! Makes me want to replay Monkey Island,” he wrote, referencing the classic LucasArts game series that followed the adventures of notorious pirate Guybrush Threepwood.
Watch the trailer below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at firstname.lastname@example.org