“The ‘war on drugs’ does not work,” Agnes Callamard said in her speech, which highlighted the risks of governments worldwide using violence to respond to illcit drugs. She was speaking on a surprise visit to the Philippine capital.
Callamard added that many people from politicians to officials and even law enforcement are “all saying there are other ways; better ways; other options, and better options” to deal with drug addiction.
According to AFP, the Duterte government plans to protest the surprise nature of Callamard’s surprise visit.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms