“The ‘war on drugs’ does not work,” Agnes Callamard said in her speech, which highlighted the risks of governments worldwide using violence to respond to illcit drugs. She was speaking on a surprise visit to the Philippine capital.
Callamard added that many people from politicians to officials and even law enforcement are “all saying there are other ways; better ways; other options, and better options” to deal with drug addiction.
According to AFP, the Duterte government plans to protest the surprise nature of Callamard’s surprise visit.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating