As the co-chair of the 69th annual Met Gala, all eyes were on Katy Perry as she arrived at the event. While some might have assumed that the pop princess would sport the designer being honored that night, the inimitable avant garde designer Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons, Perry opted instead to wear an over the top, bright red concoction from Maison Margiela Artisanal, complete with a voluminous veil that looked fit for a red wedding.
The Internet was quick to chime in about Perry’s dramatic look, with plenty of people weighing in on social media on everything from the ornateness of the look to making some pop culture parallels that compared her to everything from Winona Ryder in Beetlejuice to an otherworldly creature.
Many also criticized Perry’s choice of designer. The ensemble in question is a custom design by designer John Galliano for Maison Margiela Artisanal; Galliano’s controversial return to fashion at Margiela came after a four year exile, following his dismissal from Dior in 2011 after he was filmed making a drunken anti-Semitic rant in a Paris bar.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time