Warning: This post contains minor spoilers for season seven of Game of Thrones.
Although showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss had previously announced that Ed Sheeran will make an appearance in the seventh season of Game of Thrones, his character’s story arc has remained largely a mystery. But during a recent interview with The Hits Radio, the “Shape of You” singer revealed some details about his upcoming cameo.
Sheeran explained that the role involves him serenading Maisie Williams, who plays newly-minted faceless assassin Arya Stark on the HBO drama. “I just do a scene with Maisie,” he said. “I sing a song and then she goes, ‘oh, that’s a nice song.'”
The cameo is fitting, as Sheeran’s inclusion in the show was in some ways a gift for Williams, according to Benioff. “For years we were trying to get Ed Sheeran on the show to surprise Maisie, and this year we finally did it,” he said during the Thrones panel at South by Southwest Film Festival.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms