Michael Mantenuto — known for his role as hockey player Jack O’Callahan in Disney’s Miracle — died on Monday. He was 35.
His death was officially ruled a suicide, PEOPLE reported, citing the King County medical examiner’s office in Seattle, Washington. Mantenuto sustained a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
“Those of you that knew Mike will remember him for his passionate love for his family and his commitment to the health of the force,” U.S. Army Col. Guillaume Beaurpere wrote in a Facebook post on Wednesday announcing his death. Mantenuto, a former college hockey player, served in Beaurpere’s unit when he enlisted in the Army after his acting career.
Mantenuto appeared alongside Kurt Russell in Miracle, the 2004 movie based on the U.S. men’s hockey team’s victory over the Soviet Union in the 1980 Olympics.
He is survived by his wife, Kati Vienneau, and two children, Ava and Leo, according to his obituary on Legacy.com.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Katie Reilly at Katie.Reilly@time.com