Pope Francis made a surprise appearance at the TED 2017 conference Tuesday as he spoke about power, interaction and the future.
His talk, titled “The Future You,” was filmed in Vatican City and debuted at the at the conference in Vancouver. The future — like life — is shaped by interaction, the pontiff said.
“Please, allow me to say it loud and clear: the more powerful you are, the more your actions will have an impact on people, the more responsible you are to act humbly,” he said.
Pope Francis ended his talk saying, “The future of humankind isn’t exclusively in the hands of politicians, of great leaders, of big companies.”
Read the full transcript from TED Talk below:
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow