Pope Francis made a surprise appearance at the TED 2017 conference Tuesday as he spoke about power, interaction and the future.
His talk, titled “The Future You,” was filmed in Vatican City and debuted at the at the conference in Vancouver. The future — like life — is shaped by interaction, the pontiff said.
“Please, allow me to say it loud and clear: the more powerful you are, the more your actions will have an impact on people, the more responsible you are to act humbly,” he said.
Pope Francis ended his talk saying, “The future of humankind isn’t exclusively in the hands of politicians, of great leaders, of big companies.”
Read the full transcript from TED Talk below:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction