Viola Davis said there’s a piece of advice she’s been giving to her daughter lately: “Stop apologizing.”
On the TIME 100 Gala red carpet Tuesday, Davis said: “We’re at this huge point in our lives in history where we need to step into our power and not give it over to anyone or apologize for it…and understand that in whatever we do. We deserve to be there and we deserve to have a voice.”
The regular accolade-collector is known for supplying the internet with some of the most emotionally rich inspirational viral speeches. So it was no surprise that the Fences actor hit the event with a message to deliver to women, who she says are at a pivotal moment.
Watch the full clip of the self-described rebel above.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy