Viola Davis said there’s a piece of advice she’s been giving to her daughter lately: “Stop apologizing.”
On the TIME 100 Gala red carpet Tuesday, Davis said: “We’re at this huge point in our lives in history where we need to step into our power and not give it over to anyone or apologize for it…and understand that in whatever we do. We deserve to be there and we deserve to have a voice.”
The regular accolade-collector is known for supplying the internet with some of the most emotionally rich inspirational viral speeches. So it was no surprise that the Fences actor hit the event with a message to deliver to women, who she says are at a pivotal moment.
Watch the full clip of the self-described rebel above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com