In an exclusive interview with Samantha Cooney this week, Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman spoke about confidence, and how possessing it has affected myriad areas of her life. Of course she needed some to pursue those two gold medals, but it also extended to pushing back against body-shaming when she posed for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, and when she launched a tampon campaign with Playtex.
Raisman also addressed the urgent need to empower girls and women to speak up and out about what’s wrong, including in situations like the allegations of sexual abuse that have plagued USA Gymnastics.
“Girls need to grow up to feel that they’re strong, confident, independent, smart and that they can be anything that they want to be,” Raisman told Cooney. “But there’s so much pressure for women. I think that women feel like they don’t really have a voice. And I hope that we can change that.”
Got a story about confidence, the need to grow it or the ability to show it? Tell me!
P.S. Don’t miss Lucy Feldman’s powerful interview with Fox host Melissa Francis, about Roger Ailes, office culture and sexual harassment.
1) ‘I Left My Stable Career to Launch a Baby Clothing Company’
The founder of Monica + Andy talks about how terrifying it was to give up a steady paycheck to go it on her own
2) Chrissy Teigen Says No Woman Should Be Pressured to Have Kids
“I think it’s really commendable to even doubt the process out loud,” the model said in a new interview
3) 5 Ways Your Breasts Change Throughout the Month
Experts explain why your boobs feel different week-to-week and when you should start getting concerned
4) Why Bad Bosses Aren’t That Bad After All
Having a terrible manager can actually motivate you to do better work, according to a new study
5) This Courageous Guy Was Brave Enough to Stop Dating ‘Hot Women’
He then shared his bold story with the world — and subsequently got slammed on social media
6) 4 of the 10 Highest-Paid CEOs Are Now Women
The new numbers are a big jump from 2015, when only two female execs made the cut
7) We Need to Do a Better Job of Keeping Guns Out of the Hands of Domestic Abusers
The founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America writes that Monday’s tragedy further proves this
8) What American Women Can Learn From Liberia’s Female President
Author and journalist Helene Cooper discusses the lessons gleaned from the “extraordinary journey” of Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
9) Chewing More Slowly Might Help You Burn More Calories
New research suggests that savoring your meal might be beneficial to your health
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now