In an exclusive interview with Samantha Cooney this week, Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman spoke about confidence, and how possessing it has affected myriad areas of her life. Of course she needed some to pursue those two gold medals, but it also extended to pushing back against body-shaming when she posed for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, and when she launched a tampon campaign with Playtex.
Raisman also addressed the urgent need to empower girls and women to speak up and out about what’s wrong, including in situations like the allegations of sexual abuse that have plagued USA Gymnastics.
“Girls need to grow up to feel that they’re strong, confident, independent, smart and that they can be anything that they want to be,” Raisman told Cooney. “But there’s so much pressure for women. I think that women feel like they don’t really have a voice. And I hope that we can change that.”
Got a story about confidence, the need to grow it or the ability to show it? Tell me!
P.S. Don’t miss Lucy Feldman’s powerful interview with Fox host Melissa Francis, about Roger Ailes, office culture and sexual harassment.
The founder of Monica + Andy talks about how terrifying it was to give up a steady paycheck to go it on her own
“I think it’s really commendable to even doubt the process out loud,” the model said in a new interview
Experts explain why your boobs feel different week-to-week and when you should start getting concerned
Having a terrible manager can actually motivate you to do better work, according to a new study
He then shared his bold story with the world — and subsequently got slammed on social media
The new numbers are a big jump from 2015, when only two female execs made the cut
The founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America writes that Monday’s tragedy further proves this
Author and journalist Helene Cooper discusses the lessons gleaned from the “extraordinary journey” of Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
New research suggests that savoring your meal might be beneficial to your health
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was