Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and other Russian officials in Moscow on Wednesday.
The group is expected to discuss Ukraine, counterterrorism efforts, bilateral relations, Syria and North Korea among other issues, according to the Associated Press.
The meeting comes after President Donald Trump ordered dozens of cruise missiles to launch on a Syrian airbase earlier this month — a move Russian President Vladimir Putin criticized. Putin’s spokesperson called the missile launch an illegal act of aggression.
The State Department said the trip is part of an “effort to maintain direct lines of communication with senior Russian officials and to ensure U.S. views are clearly conveyed.”
Tillerson and Lavrov are scheduled to give a joint statement at 11 a.m. Watch it in the stream above.
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now