Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and other Russian officials in Moscow on Wednesday.
The group is expected to discuss Ukraine, counterterrorism efforts, bilateral relations, Syria and North Korea among other issues, according to the Associated Press.
The meeting comes after President Donald Trump ordered dozens of cruise missiles to launch on a Syrian airbase earlier this month — a move Russian President Vladimir Putin criticized. Putin’s spokesperson called the missile launch an illegal act of aggression.
The State Department said the trip is part of an “effort to maintain direct lines of communication with senior Russian officials and to ensure U.S. views are clearly conveyed.”
Tillerson and Lavrov are scheduled to give a joint statement at 11 a.m. Watch it in the stream above.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List