Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC), the Congressman who notoriously shouted “You lie!” at President Barack Obama during a joint session of Congress in 2009, received the same treatment from his own constituents at a town hall meeting on Monday.
Wilson had been addressing the crowd at Aiken Technical College in Graniteville, S.C. for nearly 40 minutes when he fielded a question on Obama’s signature health care law. When he responded by saying that the Affordable Care Act was denying coverage to its intended beneficiaries, the crowd began to loudly question the Congressman, eventually drowning out his remarks with a 20-second chant of the same accusation he hurled at the president eight years ago.
A spokesperson for Wilson told the New York Times that the chant stood as “less than a minute of a positive event that lasted nearly two hours where the congressman engaged with his constituents both in a town hall format and one-on-one after the official program ended.”
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time