Speaking about helping the First Lady choose her wedding trousseau prior to her 2005 marriage to President Donald Trump, Talley told Givhan that he flew to Paris with Trump on assignment for Vogue, and the pair visited a number of French couture houses. “The great thing about Melania was her manners,” he said. “The couture houses were very impressed that she was not the arrogant Mrs. Trump hunting down a wedding dress.”
The fashion legend added that he sat next to Trump at a dinner during the trip and was highly impressed by her “impeccable” manners and the way she spoke to people. “She was so charming,” he said.
When asked about Trump’s fashion style, Talley said the former model’s style is “selective and very well chosen.” He added: “I think that she is indeed a very, very, confident person and she chooses carefully for the clothes that look great on her. And it is always her choice.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Kate Samuelson at email@example.com