President Trump called on “all civilized nations” to help end the “slaughter and bloodshed” in Syria as he announced that the U.S. had launched a military strike.
Speaking from his Mar a Lago club in Florida, Trump told reporters that he had approved a “targeted military strike” on an airfield in Syria from which a chemical attack was launched on civilians earlier this week.
“It is in this vital national security interest of the United States to prevent and deter the spread and use of deadly chemical weapons,” he said.
Read a full transcript of his remarks.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment