The unidentified Sacramento woman landed on the trail below the bridge and suffered an arm injury, fractured some bones and was knocked unconscious, her friend told CNN-affiliate KOVR. The group of six friends was walking on a support girder for the 730-ft.-tall bridge that is not open to the public. The Placer County Sheriff’s Office said people generally found there are cited or arrested.
“They were taking a picture on the bridge, and then the big bolts that are holding the beams together—she stepped on them kind of weirdly and lost balance and fell backwards,” the woman’s friend, Paul Goncharuk, told KOVR.
The woman was airlifted to a medical center nearby and is expected to recover, the Sacramento Bee reports.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Julia Zorthian at firstname.lastname@example.org