Glenn died in December at the age of 95, The Associated Press reports.
Family, friends and dignitaries are expected to gather and pay tribute to Glenn, who was the first American to orbit the Earth. He returned to space at the age of 77, the oldest astronaut to do so, entrenching his legacy as an American legend. Glenn represented Ohio in the Senate for 24 years.
White House press secretary Sean Spicer said on Twitter that the President has ordered flags at federal buildings to be flown at half mast on Thursday in Glenn’s honor.
The event is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. ET. Watch live above.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time