Warning: The post contains spoilers for the movie Alien.
During a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly to promote his upcoming franchise reboot Alien: Covenant, Scott revealed that instead of harpooning the creature and sending it careening into space, Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) was originally going to lose the battle — and her life.
“I thought that the alien should come in, and Ripley harpoons it and it makes no difference, so it slams through her mask and rips her head off,” Scott said, explaining that the scene would then cut to the alien using the ship’s controls. “It would mimic Captain Dallas [Tom Skerritt] saying, ‘I’m signing off.'”
However, the folks over at 20th Century Fox — the studio that produced the film — weren’t big fans of that idea. “The first executive from Fox arrived on set within 14 hours, threatening to fire me on the spot,” Scott said. “So we didn’t do that.”
Watch the ending that did make the cut below.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms