Warning: The post contains spoilers for the movie Alien.
During a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly to promote his upcoming franchise reboot Alien: Covenant, Scott revealed that instead of harpooning the creature and sending it careening into space, Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) was originally going to lose the battle — and her life.
“I thought that the alien should come in, and Ripley harpoons it and it makes no difference, so it slams through her mask and rips her head off,” Scott said, explaining that the scene would then cut to the alien using the ship’s controls. “It would mimic Captain Dallas [Tom Skerritt] saying, ‘I’m signing off.'”
However, the folks over at 20th Century Fox — the studio that produced the film — weren’t big fans of that idea. “The first executive from Fox arrived on set within 14 hours, threatening to fire me on the spot,” Scott said. “So we didn’t do that.”
Watch the ending that did make the cut below.
- Column: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive