The sinister laugh that escapes from Voldemort when he thinks he has finally killed Harry Potter in The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is arguably one of the most famous moments from Ralph Fiennes’ portrayal of the Dark Lord. But for the actor himself, it’s barely a memory.
While chatting with philosopher Slavoj Zizek at a School Of Life event in London Monday, Fiennes reportedly admitted that he can’t recall letting loose the cackle that went on to become an iconic meme. “I can’t actually remember what that scene was or why I did it,” he said.
Fiennes also spoke about how he interpreted the motivation behind his villainous character’s deeds. “It wasn’t useful going into it as evil,” he said, jokingly adding, “I just thought, ‘I want to destroy Harry Potter, he is really annoying me and the world will be a better place without him in it.'”
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time