The Love Actually star made the shocking revelation during an interview on the Swedish news outlet SVT. She told the other guests that the incident happened while shooting the movie Primary Colors with John Travolta in the 1990s, shortly after her divorce from actor Kenneth Branagh.
As Thompson tells it, one day she was in her trailer when the phone rang. “I look at it and it’s like weird, like a moose has entered,” she joked. “I lift up the phone [and hear] ‘Hi, it’s Donald Trump here.’ I say ‘Really? Can I help you?,’ and he says ‘I wonder if I can offer you some accommodation in one of my Trump Towers, they’re really comfortable?’
Thompson, who is now married to English actor and producer Greg Wise, said after asking the now-President why he was offering her somewhere to stay, Trump responded: “Why you know, I think we would get on very well. Maybe we could have dinner some time?”
“I didn’t know what to do with myself,” the Saving Mr Banks actress admitted. “I was on my own and just said ‘Um, OK, I’ll get back to you. Thank you so much for the offer’.” After recovering from the shock revelation, the SVT joked that Thompson could be the first lady. “You could have stopped him,” added one of the guests.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.