Around the same time on Westminster Bridge, near parliament, a vehicle struck several people, leaving one woman dead and several others with “catastrophic” injuries, officials said.
Until proven otherwise, London police are treating the incident as a terrorist attack, London Mayor Sadiq Khan said in a statement.
“The Metropolitan Police Service is dealing with the incident and urgent investigation is underway. My thoughts are with those affected and their families,” Khan said in his statement, which he posted on Twitter.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve