It’s the 26th consecutive year that the Lab has claimed the top spot on the list, according to AKC registration statistics. The AKC said Tuesday that the Labrador Retriever has continued to win over hearts because it’s a smart, athletic and family-friendly dog.
“The Labrador Retriever has a strong hold on the top spot, and doesn’t show signs of giving it up anytime soon,” AKC Vice President Gina DiNardo said in a statement. “The Lab is such a versatile dog that it’s no wonder it makes a great companion for a variety of lifestyles.”
The Labrador Retriever is trailed by the German Shepherd and Golden Retriever. The AKC said the Rottweiler, which came in eighth, has been slowly climbing the ranks in the last decade.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve