Julia has already been featured in Sesame Street’s world, after appearing online in a Digital Storybook tale, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Over the weekend, CBS’ 60 Minutes revealed that the character would be appearing on the television show itself.
Julia will appear alongside characters Elmo and Abby and will meet Big Bird. The show will portray Julia as hesitant to shake Big Bird’s hand and explain why.
The team behind Sesame Street worked with autism organizations to figure out the best way to portray Julia on screen.
“It’s tricky, because autism is not one thing, because it is different for every single person who has autism,” writer Christine Ferraro said. “I would love her to be not Julia, the kid on Sesame Street who has autism. I would like her to be just Julia.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Zamira Rahim at email@example.com