Warning: This post contains spoilers for Game of Thrones.
Unbelievable as it may seem, of the 100 major deaths that have happened over the past six seasons of Game of Thrones, the most expensive had nothing to do with dragons, white walkers or even wildfire.
During the recent Thrones panel at the South by Southwest festival in Austin, showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss revealed the death scene with the largest price tag to date was the season five scene when Arya Stark (Maisie Williams) gouges Ser Meryn Trant’s (Ian Beattie) eyes out before slitting his throat.
When asked why Trant’s death — which let Arya cross off the first name on her infamous kill list — ran up the costs of filming so high, Benioff had a very simple answer. “She couldn’t really poke out his eyes,” he said, according to RadioTimes.
Watch the scene below.
- Yes, Climate Change Is Making Storms Like Hurricane Ian Worse
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future