While the Harry Potter alum didn’t give away the name of his character, he provided a description of the role. “I’m a maester, an archmaester. I’m an old professor character,” he told ScreenCrush during a recent interview.
He also divulged that he’s in five of the season’s seven episodes and has filmed scenes with Samwell Tarly (John Bradley), who viewers last saw arriving at the Citadel in Oldtown to begin training as a maester.
This information seems to confirm the suspicions of Reddit users who predicted Broadbent would appear as Marwyn the Mage—an unconventional archmaester with a deep connection to magic and the supernatural.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve