The CDC analyzed dat from 2011 to 2014 using information from National Poison Data System and found that a total of 70,669 children under 12 had been exposed to the product, including ingesting sanitizer or getting it in their eyes. Most of those exposures were kids drinking the gel — and more kids above age six were exposed to the alcoholic gels than the nonalcoholic gels, suggesting they drank it for the alcoholic effects.
More than 8,000 of those cases resulted in adverse health effects, ranging from abdominal pain and vomiting to five instances of comas. The rate of exposure in children has been increasing since 2005, according to the report.
Alcoholic hand sanitizers often contain between 60% and 95% ethanol or isopropyl alcohol by volume, the report states, and scents that manufacturers add to the liquids could make them more enticing to young children.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time