Pop culture and politics just collided in the best way possible.
On Thursday, actress Sarah Jessica Parker posted a meme in which she is seen typing, along with the caption, “I couldn’t help but wonder…had the Russian ambassador been meeting with everybody except me?”
The line is a reference to her Sex and the City character, relationship columnist Carrie Bradshaw: Nearly every one of the fictional writer’s columns began with, “I couldn’t help but wonder…” The bit about the Russian ambassador is, of course, a nod to the recent controversy surrounding revelations that Attorney General Jeff Sessions twice talked with Moscow’s U.S. envoy during the presidential campaign. Sessions’ conversations with the ambassador seem to contradict his sworn statements to Congress during his confirmation hearings.
Sessions says he will recuse himself from a federal investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 White House election.
Subscribe to the Broadsheet, Fortune’s newsletter for powerful women.
According to Vanity Fair, the original source of the Carrie Bradshaw meme is Huffington Post editor James Michael Nichols, who tweeted it on Wednesday.
In a pre-election interview with Time Out, Parker said she was “terrified” of Donald Trump: “I’m like literally terrified to say something bad about him, because I don’t want to be the recipient, I don’t want to be on the receiving end of his…I’m really stunned. I’m really stunned, I’m gobsmacked by what’s going on.”
Judging by her social media presence, the actress is feeling a little more more emboldened these days.
This article originally appeared on Fortune.com
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement