Following Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ announcement that he would recuse himself from any investigations into the Trump campaign’s ties with Russia, Stephen Colbert devoted the opening monologue of Thursday’s episode of The Late Show to explaining why this wouldn’t be necessary.
Referencing the fact that Sessions denied being in contact with the Russian government at his confirmation hearing despite having met with the Russian ambassador twice during the 2016 election, the host had some strong words about his decision.
“You called yourself a campaign surrogate, then you lied under oath that you never met with the Russians,” Colbert said. “So you don’t have to recuse yourself. You’ve already f–ked yourself.”
Watch the full clip below.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time