House Speaker Paul Ryan said that Attorney General Jeff Sessions should only recuse himself from investigations into Russia if “he himself” is the subject of the investigation.
Speaking at a brief press conference on Capitol Hill, the Wisconsin Republican said he “hadn’t read” the transcripts of what Sessions told the Senate Judiciary Committee at his confirmation hearing about whether he met with Russia and could not speak to whether it was accurate.
“Should he recuse himself?” he said. “I think he answered that question this morning, which is if he himself is the subject of an investigation, of course he would. But if he’s not, I don’t see any purpose or reason to doing this.”
Read a complete transcript of Ryan’s remarks.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022