Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer called on Attorney General Jeff Sessions to resign over reports that he met with the Russian ambassador during the presidential campaign.
Speaking at a press conference on Capitol Hill, the New York Democrat said that Sessions was not forthcoming about his meetings when he testified at his confirmation hearing about contacts with Russia.
“Because the Department of Justice should be above reproach for the good of the country, Attorney General Sessions should resign,” he said.
Read the complete remarks from Schumer’s press conference.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement